M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sorry for the blog neglect!

I've just been trying to relax, enjoy my time home, and not be consumed by "having cancer"!

I've been feeling really good for the past couple of weeks, but it did take a while for the palpitations and fatigue to go away. Then once those cleared up I developed a rash on my chest, neck, and face. It was SO itchy. The local doctor at first thought it was contact dermatitis but it persisted even after I stopped using pretty much every product I could think of on the areas. I was having lunch with an immunologist coworker one day and she wondered if it could be graft vs. host disease since face rash is a symptom. Graft vs. host disease happens when the transplanted immune cells (graft) mount a response against your bodies cells (host). We wondered if it was even possible with an autologous transplant since the graft is made up of my OWN immune cells and shouldn't recognize my other cells as foreign. A little digging revealed it is indeed possible with an auto transplant, but it's rare. The good news is it's usually not serious, and is easily treated with a course of steroids. It's typically accompanied by fevers and there can also be GI and liver problems, but I wasn't experiencing any of those things. I brought it up with the doctors and nurses here and in Arkansas and everyone agreed it was a possibility and a skin biopsy was the way to diagnose it. I went in to see the NP for the biopsy, but she was very hesitant to do it since the rash was confined to my face, neck, and chest. She spoke with the doctor and they agreed the biopsy wasn't necessary considering my lack of other symptoms. Basically even it is graft vs. host, it's mild and more of a nuisance than anything. So at this point we are just keeping and eye it and I'm using regular old hydrocortisone. It's definitely gotten better, but still kind of hanging around.

I've miraculously managed (knocking furious on wood) not to catch anything sickness wise. This is a miracle because I drop the kids off in the germ factory (aka preschool) everyday. There have been signs up for confirmed cases of conjunctivitis, hand foot and mouth disease, and ring worm. YIKES! So I'm holding my breath that it keeps up another few days since I fly back on Sunday to get started back up with restaging before the second transplant starts Thursday. Just when I was getting used to my new immune system, I have to go back and destroy it. ;) If I get sick it will delay getting started so please everyone keep your fingers crossed I can ward off the germs for another week!

I did manage to get my blood sent back to Arkansas for the myeloma markers and am happy to report everything was great. My light chain numbers are 100% normal!

Since I've been feeling better it's been really nice to be home, just spending time with family and friends. Alex and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary on Sunday! Can't believe it's been 6 years, and we are looking forward to the next 6 and FAR beyond!

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. well if you were neglecting to post, I've been neglecting to read! I see in the other post that the word "cure" seems to becoming a louder whisper in the science community! What great news!

    ReplyDelete