M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gearing up for transplant 2

Somehow I always manage to forget that a 10:30 myeloma clinic appointment is sure to keep you tied up for a good 2 hours or more. I saw my line placement was scheduled for 12 and actually wondered what I would do in between. It must be the chemo brain. I didn't make it to line placement until about 1, and I still had to go back to the clinic afterwards to get my prescription refills and a copy of my biopsy report (since it hadn't posted yet). The PA also sent me for another blood draw today since for some reason my temp was 100.2 in the clinic. This gave me a minor heart attack. He wanted to be sure my CRP wasn't up, possibly signaling an infection. Luckily it was fine and they see no reason why I can't go forward tomorrow...thank goodness! I don't know what the low grade fever was all about, hope that doesn't happen again.

The line placement was pretty quick and mostly painless. I'm not looking forward to not being able to take a proper shower (especially in this heat) and I hate the itching from the adhesive on the covering, but otherwise the line is not so bad. It does feel a little odd when they insert it, I swear I could feel the end of it poking something inside my chest when he was manipulating it. The usual tech Sheila wasn't there, but it was the German doctor again. I was a bit surprised he actually remembered me, but a bit disappointed there was no talk of strudel during the procedure this time. Mmmmmm strudel.

After all that was done I went to pick up my Dad at the airport. We hit the grocery store for a few things then grabbed dinner at The Red Door. This is the same place my mom and I went for breakfast on the last trip, and the dinner was just as fabulous as the breakfast. We both had chicken fried prime rib. If you've never had a chicken fried steak with white gravy, please do yourself a favor and do not wait any longer. YUM!

My dad was very pleased the hockey game was on down here and we watched the Bruins kick some Canuck butt. Now it's time to rest up for tomorrow when I get the pleasure of being methodically poisoned...again. A fellow patient was telling me his 2nd transplant was easier than his first. I'm hoping in the least that it won't be any harder!

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jody,
    I initially read your blog when it was posted on Phil Brabb's MM for Dummies and posted a comment at that time. I just read your last few posts and realize that you are here in Little Rock now also. I think we were in th bone marrow clinic at the same time....10:30! All these years and I still have chemo brain!!
    Today is my Dr. appt. at the clinic with Dr. Waheed. I have been coming here for 7 years and I think you know you are in the right place!
    Good luck with your SCT. If you receive this message and would like to meet let me know a time and I can run over to the unit. We are leaving to return to MI. Immediately after my appt.
    You will do great.....you have already achieved CR!
    Linda Bush
    Go2mtjclb@aol.com

    ReplyDelete