M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Sunday, April 17, 2011

T-minus 1 day!

Transplant Is officially scheduled for 10:30 am tomorrow! I went in for my last doses of melphalan and velcade this morning and also took my last dose of dex this morning (not last forever, but last doses before transplant). I just have to take my thalidomide tonight, then tomorrow they will infuse the stem cells. I've been thoroughly warned it's going to be completely anticlimactic, and that I'll the pleasure of smelling like either garlic or creamed corn (depending on who you ask) for a couple of days due to the preservative they use to store the cells. This preservative is called DMSO, and it's used to help prevent ice crystals from popping the cells as they are frozen then thawed out. I've used it a million times in the lab to freeze down cell lines myself, never on any cells quite so important as these though! We need these cells to be as healthy and happy possible when they thaw them out because once the melphalan finishes doing it's job the stem cells are going to regrow all my blood cells. I also have to say DMSO itself has no odor, so it must be a metabolite that gives the odor...might have to so some detective work on that one!

I'm definitely more tired today, and I needed a little nap after the trip to the clinic. Now it's time for lunch and then a few errands. My appetite is still pretty good, but my taste buds are taking a little beating so some things are tasting a little off. I'll be glad to be off the dex so I can start eating more sugar, the pumpkin bread my mom sent is taunting me from the fridge!

Sent from my iPad

7 comments:

  1. Good luck in the morning Jody!! Here's to those little frozen stem cells being so pleased to be thawed out that they do their job exactly as we all want!! Love and hugs being sent to you! Claudie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic or creamed corn - both sound delicious :) Good luck tomorrow!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think creamed corn could be the next hit scent for bath and body works! Good luck with the new cells...grow grow grow! <3 K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put in a good word for you at Palm Sunday services this morning followed by a load of super BBQ at the annual Fireman's BBQ/Muster in Murrieta. Always a fun day. Hope you're getting some solid zzz's as I write this in prep for the big day tomorrow! CHARGE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and Hugs! We are praying for happy healthy stem cells!Make sure you let us know how your new perfume smells. I think I would rather smell corn than garlic. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to write a comment about the creamed corn last week. Justin's always smelled like that. :) thinking of you and Alex.

    ReplyDelete