M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sorry for the suspense!

The transplant itself was indeed pretty anticlimactic! I was totally zonked between the low blood pressure and the benadryl. The cells did indeed arrive in a little cooler and without much fanfare my APN hooked them up to my line and started the infusion. I think she said it was about 4 million cells in the one bag and I've still got 7 other bags frozen down. It took all of about 20 minutes then they kept an eye on me for a couple of hours afterwards. Other than a weird taste in my mouth as they were infusing it was completely unremarkable. Let's just hope the little buggers are finding their way to the right spot!

I was still really zonked once we got home and the verdict was that I smelled like creamed corn "only worse", so I banished myself to the bedroom with a fan and an open window. I couldn't smell it, but judging by the way Alex was wrinkling up his nose, I'd say it's a good thing it subsided pretty quickly.

This morning my blood pressure was low and I was feeling pretty dizzy again, so now I'm on a mission to drink more today so I'll feel better in the morning. Otherwise things are looking fine, my counts haven't started to drop yet...but they should over the next couple of days.

Sent from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! A photo of a modern day miracle! Do not get to see photos of them every day!

    Check with the doctor to see if increasing your sodium intake will help your blood pressure. The MD had Pat drinking broth three cups of bouillion a day when his BP was really low after his kidney transplant. He also had to add salt to everything. After almost four years of sodium restrictions because of dialysis, he was in his glory!

    Suggestion - have some corn chowder next time and Alex won't notice the creamed corn aroma, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you checked in before I was forced to call your Momma!!I won't make any corny jokes, being the old salt that I am... but your use of terms like "unremarkable" for such a remarkable process are, well pretty remarkable. I'm convinced your attitude and preparation compliment what looks like a superb medical team working on your behalf. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it went so smoothly Jo - sending good thoughts that those suckers are on their way to the right places...rest up...xoxo

    ReplyDelete