M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Well at least I was free for a couple of days...

I had to get my buddy back today. This time just with fluids and potassium instead of chemo drugs, so it's definitely an improvement over last time. I was feeling really weak and lightheaded this morning when I went into the clinic for my growth factor injection and my blood pressure was low so they gave me some i.v. fluids. I started feeling better right away, which was a good thing. It's amazing what a liter of fluid can do! I had been retaining water from having been on the dexamethasone, and I dropped most of it over night last night (why yes I did pee a million times last night) so I was a bit dehydrated. My potassium was also a bit low so they decided to send me home with the infusion pump to keep my fluids up and replenish my potassium.

Sorry to keep you all hanging yesterday, it was indeed a long day and I was zonked. I didn't actually get to meet with the doctor, just the PA again. He didn't have much to report, just generally checking up on my labs and schedule. My light chain level is decreasing so that's a good sign that I'm responding to the treatment! I was quite annoyed for him to tell me though that I did not in fact need the PET scan for which I had just starved myself for 12 hours. Um yeah, that would have been nice for you to catch BEFORE they did the $4000 test. GAH! He swears he will prevent them from billing my insurance and he better follow up on that or I'm going to have his head. Definitely will triple check everything they order from now on!

Today is Day 11. I got my last dose of Velcade today and my induction round is now officially over!! Now I just continue the growth factor shots until I'm ready for collection then I'll get a little break before getting started with the first transplant. It will be nice to get home for a little bit and see the kiddos. A birthday celebration for a special little 5 year old is on tap for sure!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you will get to go home for a bit! Enjoy your break!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hey, at least you don't need a chemical spill clean up kit with the potassium, right?? Glad phase 1 is over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning round 1...keep on pushing.

    Aunt Rose and Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo happy to hear that you are headed home to see the kiddos, they must be thrilled!! Enjoy your weekend and keep up that good fight Jody.

    Love ya---Lori

    ReplyDelete