M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Central Line

Today I had the pleasure of having my very first central line put it. The experience itself wasn't bad at all, but so far having the line is not my favorite thing. It's not painful, but it's just a weird sensation. I guess it's a little odd that this is my least favorite things so far. The upside to it is that now I don't have to get stuck for blood draws all the time, and I'm all for that so I'm trying to give it a chance. Another patient assured me today that hers felt better after they changed the dressing so I'll wait until tomorrow at least before filing it under total annoyance. It should be interesting trying to keep it dry in the shower. They actually recommended using Glad Press'n Seal.

Tomorrow I'll get another fine needle aspiration AND a bone marrow biopsy to monitor how the Velcade is working. I'm not too thrilled about getting these back to back tomorrow and I'm even less thrilled they want me to do both again on Friday! Hopefully my bones can take it. I can refuse any of them if I want, but the results are important so I don't want to have to do that. As long as insurance pre-certifies them I'll go for it. I have a feeling insurance isn't going to be too thrilled either though so maybe I'll be spared a couple of procedures.

Outside of the clinic related stuff we are slowly managing to find our way around. We've got the grocery store down and we found Target today. We're researching other places to stay since we don't love the furnished apartment we rented. It's adequate but it's a little small and rough around the edges. The carpet is a bit dingy and the dust seems to be kicking up my allergies a bit, which won't be acceptable during transplants. We're supposed to see a small furnished house on Thursday that seems promising. The woman who owns it rents mostly to patients and her mom has myeloma so she's very familiar with the needs of patients. It's two bedrooms and includes weekly cleaning and all utilities. It will be open right as the lease ends here so hopefully it will work out.

Feeling ok so far, just drained from all the running around at the medical center, trying to manage all the information flying at us, and trying to find our way around.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's kind of cool that they will be able to see that the velcade is working already, but sorry about all the biopsies. Funny about the press n seal!

    I hope the house works out, that sounds like the perfect rental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jody,
    It's Lori, your favorite cousin!!! I just wanted you to know that we all think of you often and pray for you always. You are such a strong woman and I know you can beat this thing. If you ever need to talk just call or email, I am always here for you.

    Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it would help if I actually gave you my email!!!! dlmorrill5@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody-
    This is a horrendous story, but you can do this, Honey! It's going to be a long, rough road, but I know you can do this. I pray for you every day and I keep remembering the spunk of that young woman with the sweet smile I met in MA those many years ago, determined to be a scientist. If thoughts and prayers will help you through this battle, you've got 'em... and a lot more than you know. Keep your energy, keep your strength, keep your fight... there are lots of people pulling with you, Jody, and sending a lot of love to you, Alex and your kids! Ileana (Bethanie's Mom)

    ReplyDelete