M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Free!

Ahhh. Got to leave my "buddy" behind at the clinic today. It's nice not to have to lug that thing around anymore, and it's going to be even nicer to take a real shower!

So now I'm 9 days in. The "induction" phase is technically 11 days, but the only thing left is one more injection of Velcade on Thursday. Tomorrow I officially start the stem cell mobilization. This means I'll get growth hormone shots twice a day for 7-10 days to promote production and release of stem cells from my bone marrow into my blood where they can be more easily collected. To do the collection they will hook me up to an apheresis machine that will collect my blood, separate the stem cell fraction, and return the rest back to me. The stem cells will be counted and processed and frozen down on liquid nitrogen until its time for the transplant. After that is done I'll get a little break!

Tomorrow will be another long day. I have to be there at 9 for my first growth factor injection, then I have a PET scan at 12:30. This means I can't have any carbs after 12:30 am, and no food at all after 6:30 am. Not fun! After that I finally meet with Dr. B again at 3 pm. I saw him in passing today in the hallway, but I haven't met with him yet on this trip. I'm anxious to hear the results of all the biopsies from last week. After that it will be back to the clinic for another growth factor shot.

Hopefully my energy will be up a little bit tomorrow, I was super zonked today!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe the growth hormone will help grow your energy! Glad you got to ditch the unhip fashion accessory :) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, as always, my beautiful daughter....Can't wait to see you!!
    love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jody!
    Its Pam- Alex's (and your!) friend. I am so impressed with your amazing-ness! You are going to kick this things ass! your children are rediculously beautiful! read loads of crappy magazines- watch a ton of day time tv, and re-coup because I am going to come visit you this summer and I expect a lot of entertaining. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jody. Many, may years ago my sister Beth Carson dated your brother Jay. Beth got a message from your Mom and sent me over to your blog. I've had a lot of health issues myself (actually was a pt at Kimmel Cancer Center) and just wanted to send you some prayers and positive energy from one Momma to another. I know how hard some of this can be and I think what you are doing is amazing. You are so strong and so brave - keep it up!! Hugs from Florida,
    Jen Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody, we were so grateful that Joan sent us your blog address. You are a window of courage for others to look through.   We hear of miracles every day and are sure that there will be a miracle in your life.  If you need a laugh, we will be here for you.  If you need a cry, our shoulders will be available.  You joining our family is one of our dearest treasures.
     
    Lovingly,
     
    Uncle Bob & Aunt Rose

    ReplyDelete