M is for Myeloma is a place to chronicle my family's newest 'adventure' living with multiple myeloma to keep family and friends updated and also hopefully help others living with the disease.


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

2 is the Magic Number

Contrary to what De La Soul would have you believe...TWO is in fact the magic number. My white blood cell count needs to get back up to 2 before I can go forward to stem cell collection. Sunday I was 0.23, Monday I was 0.27, and today I was 0.36...so I at least seem to be creeping back up. I had a little more energy today too so I'm taking that as a good sign. I have to say though that fever paranoia has set in though after four days of being neutropenic. They sent me home with this funky little infuser of antibiotics I have to administer if I spike a fever of 101.

My APN also gave me a prescription for some mouthwash to help with my irritated throat. She called it "magic mouthwash", and it's apparently some concoction they came up with for cancer patients. I thought she was just being cute calling it "magic mouthwash", but there is is right on the bottle!


In other news my friend, fellow science geek, and Scorpio buddy Shoba was kind enough to send a link to the current issue of the journal Clinical Cancer Research (one of the top 20 Oncology Journals) where they feature 7 articles focusing on progress in multiple myeloma treatment written by some of the big names in the field.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/17/6.toc#CCRFocus


The abstracts can all be viewed but the actual articles do require a subscription to access. If anyone is interested in some "light" reading I can access the articles so shoot me an email.

2 comments:

  1. We have a family friend who is an oncology nurse. Magic mouthwash is usually a mixture of liquid Benadryl, Maalox and some assorted pain relievers, antibiotics or antifungals. She recommended the Benadryl/Maalox combo when I bit the inside of my mouth and had a spot that wasn't healing quickly. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone actually gave me that recipe for a sore throat a few years ago. So glad to hear there is progress being made in the field. Sending love and hugs! Love, Jes

    ReplyDelete